Bridget's Banter

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

An interesting editorial...

I came across this editorial in yesterday's newspaper. As you know,Terry works for Merck and at one time promoted the drug Vioxx, so you can see why I found this editorial particularly interesting.

Let me see if I have this right: Tobacco is predicted to kill one billion people this century. As I recall, the drug ephedra was banned after being blamed for 12 deaths. Vioxx was pulled from the market after a few hundred had problems with it. Lead paints was eliminated from nonindustrial use after it was found to be toxic. What do you suppose would happen if a new car came out, and in the first year 10 of them caught fire? The whole lot would be recalled for safety reasons. Why is a product that is expected to kill one billion people, and is addictive to boot, not illegal?

I know some of my friends and family smoke, so I am not slamming smokers. I guess more than anything the reference to Vioxx hit home. Why is a company like Merck having to engage in numerous lawsuits over a drug that possibly was harmful, yet tobacco companies are continuing to manufacture and sell a drug that is also harmful? No, I don't think tobacco should necessarily be illegal, but I do think people should layoff other companies.

1 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Eads said...

Yeah, you go girl!!!
Aunt Barb

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home